I’ve been a sneaky Mommy this week. We all know most kids don’t like veggies. If you have a veggie-munching-monster, teach me your ways. Our cherub would live off of nuggets if we let him, because that’s healthy. I can’t really blame him as I’m not sure I ate anything green until I was well into double-digit age. Not my proudest accomplishment, sorry Mom.
So, besides the spinach-packed-smoothie I’m always looking for new ways to incorporate veggies into his daily diet. We’ve included the squeezy fruit & veggie pouches. Thanks, Costco. But I still feel like that isn’t enough. I’ve talked before about our weekly milk and ice cream delivery from SMC. Well, last week they started offering fresh fruits and veggies a la carte instead of one big grab bag. I’ve never waited so impatiently for bananas in my life. As such, I ordered zucchini, lemons, limes, and green beans. Now, I don’t really like zucchini but I’ll eat it with dinner, on occasion. Usually Hubs makes grilled or roasted veggies that include squash and zucchini. I know I should eat it, but it’s not my favorite. So this brings me to my sneaky solution. I made zucchini muffins this week.
That is- Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins. This was a real recipe, promise. Sounds blech right? Guess what! You can’t taste the zucchini! Win-Win! Took me a total of 30 minutes including clean up and Bubba actually asked for more. happy dance.
Hopefully, I can find ways to hide some other items in the near future to help both Bubba and I get the veggies we need. My next endeavor is going to be zucchini tots- we’ll see how they go over.
If you’ve got suggestions, I’m all ears! Send them my way.
Zucchini Choc. Chip Muffins
Recipe from allrecipes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper muffin liners.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. Mix egg, oil, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla extract in a bowl; stir into dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in zucchini, chocolate chips, and walnuts. Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.